In a previous post, Relationship Chart of Mark Blythe to Barack Obama , I posted the Stehle ancestry chart showing the connection between Barack Obama and my husband, through their common ancestor, Ulrich Stehle.
Ulrich Stehle Sr. was my children’s eighth great-grandfather. He was born in Europe (presumably in Holland or Germany) in about 1699, married Anna (parents unknown) on September 21, 1732 at about the age of 33. He, Anna, and their three children emigrated from Rotterdam on the ship Pink Plaisance to Philadelphia, USA.
His children were all born prior to the family’s emigration to the USA and were Hans Peter Stehle (Steely), born about 1716; Anna Barbra Stehle (Steely), also born about 1716; and Ulrich Stehle (Steely) Jr., born about 1720 and dying in 1773.
Ulrich Steely (Stehle) Jr., seventh great-grandfather to Erin and Stuart, also married an Anna, who was born about 1705 and died about 1793. Ulrich Jr. was born in Europe (some sources say in Mifflin County, Pennsylvania, but according to the documented timeline, this is highly doubtful). He died in abt 1773 in Derry Township, Mifflin County, Pennsylvania, USA.
Ulrich Jr.’s children were Sarah Steely (1755-1829), Jacob Steely (1756-1829), Christiana Steely (born 1759), Gabriel Steely (1763-1830), Lazarus Steely (1764-1808), Henry Steely (born 1765), and Mary Steely (1766-1835).
Sarah Steely, daughter of Ulrich Steely, Jr. died and was buried in 1829. Her headstone reads, “Sarah, wife of William Frampton, died July 6, 1829, aged seventy-four years.”
Gabriel Steely son of Ulrich Steely Jr., was sixth great-grandfather to my children and was born August 19, 1763 in Pennsylvania, USA. He is said to have died May 2, 1830 at about 66 years of age in Kingston, Ohio and was buried May 4, 1830 in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery, Kingston, Ross County, Ohio, USA.
One point of interest about Gabriel Steely is the fact that there are records regarding court proceedings in a suit he brought against Joshua Gay and Joshua Gay, Jr. over an unpaid debt (click on thumbnails below to see full documents).
Gabriel married Mary Meek (1767-1850), daughter of Capt. George Meek and Rachel Herron, before 1785. They had ten children: John (1785-1842), Sarah (1793-1860), Meek (1797-1865), George Ray (born about 1800), Reuben (Ruban) (born about 1802), Elizabeth (1811-1880), as well as David, William Wallace, Isabell and Sally, the latter four’s birth dates being unknown. Some records indicate that Mary’s surname at the time of her marriage was Stuart. Could she have been previously married, or was there a second wife at sometime named Mary Stuart?
According to “Brief History of Pickaway County, Ohio”, Gabriel was among the earliest settlers, settling in Pickaway Township in 1807.
- Obama Family Tree, Chicago Sun Times; September 9, 2007.
- 1790 Census, Mifflin County, Pennsylvania ; digital images, (http://dgmweb.net/genealogy/FGS/S/SteelyUlrich-Anna_.shtml.
- US Census, “Mifflin County, Pennsylvania,” http://dgmweb.net/genealogy/FGS/S/SteelyUlrich-Anna_.shtml.
- “Names of Foreigners Who Took the Oath of Allegiance to the Province and State of Pennsylvania, 1727-1775, with the Foreign Arrivals, 1786-1808.,” database, http://dgmweb.net/genealogy/FGS/S/StehleUlrich-Anna_.shtml.
- 1790 US Census; Steely, Gabriel;. Roll No. M637_9; Pg 154; Image 0318.
- Brief History of Pickaway Township, Pickaway County, Ohio.
- History of Pickaway County; www.heritagepursuit.com/Pickaway/PickawayChapXIII.htm.
- 1800 US Census; Steely, Gabriel; Roll No. M32_37; Pg 496; Image 19.
- Court Judgment in Suit of Gabriel Steely vs. Joshua Gay and John Gay; May 17, 1830 – May 27, 1831.
- John Stroup and Mary Steely, database; http://dgmweb.net/genealogy/FGS/Stro/StroupJohn-MarySteely.shtml.
For more facts and dates about the above mentioned individuals, check out our family’s extensive genealogy database .